Sunday, July 27, 2008

水餃 Dumplings, Take 3!

Since I forgot to document my first two attempts at making dumplings from scratch, I am going to record my latest experience on this third batch so as to not forget everything like I usually do. Surprisingly, I have made 4 lbs worth of dumplings over the past 2 weeks and my tired little fingers are feeling a little bit like those of an exploited chinese factory laborer. On a positive note, I think I have gotten the recipe to where they actually resemble good dumplings! Here is the (rough) recipe for 2 batches dumplings - 1 chive and 1 mushroom/shrimp:

chive dumplings
1. prep your veggies, cut your chives and ginger
2. mix your pork in a mixing bowl, add (a) little by little, stirring each time to make the meat soft (mixture "a" = water, veg. oil, rice wine, and chicken broth). this will all make the meat more tender.
3. when the mixture is of the consistency of tuna tartar, must be kind of runny but still hold together, add soy sauce until you see the color turn brown
4. add the ginger and chives and a dash of sesame oil
5. wrap!

mushroom/shrimp dumplings:
1. repeat #1 & #2 from above
2. when the mixture is of the consistency of tuna tartar, must be kind of runny but still hold together, add light soy sauce (eyeball this?) but maybe 1-2 tablespoons
4. add the ginger and shrimp, mushrooms, and a dash of sesame oil. careful not to mash the shrimp as u want it to hold shape when you eat it.
5. wrap!

Initial reaction on test dumpling - pretty soft texture! score!
Next time - add small dried shrimp and probably marinate the meat in the soy a bit more.
General learnings - don't be afraid to SEASON!

woohoo

No comments: